Your Mental Mindset – Wisdom from Professional Golfer Victoria Lovelady
I recently had the pleasure of meeting a woman professional golfer from Brazil by the name of Victoria Lovelady. Apart from having one of the best names of any person on the planet, she also imparted some interesting wisdom to me. It all happened at breakfast one morning, when we started to talk about how she managed to become the top female golfer from Brazil, a world ranked player, and Olympian.
She explained that for many years she struggled to perform when she faced pressure-packed situations in tournament play.
“Whenever the heat was on I would think to myself, ‘OK its crunch time. I really NEED to make this putt. I know I WILL make this putt!’” she said.
“Well that seems like a great mental mindset. The power of positive thinking, right?” I said.
“You would think so…But it really wasn’t working. I couldn’t rise to the occasion consistently,” she said. She then explained how she had started to work with a sports psychologist who encouraged her to shift her perspective in such situations by making some subtle – but significant – changes to her mental routines.
“So my sports psychologist told me to try framing the challenge or situation differently. Instead of ‘I WILL make this putt,’ think ‘I WANT to make this putt,’” she said.
This important change has the effect of shifting our energy from a need to achieve to a desire to achieve. It is a much more positive mindset. By framing the situation differently, we can put less pressure on ourselves, and as a result attain more positive results. This framework helps us maintain our composure in pressure-packed situations where we may find ourselves fighting over sphincter control!
Whether it is a high stakes scenario or day-to-day existence, we have the opportunity to shift our mindset.
Could you shift your mindset to get more positive results? Could you make a mental shift in your relationships, with the work that you do, or the goals you want to achieve?
We can bring this to light in many aspects of our life.
We all have the opportunity to shift our perspective and better tap our inner potential. Try it for yourself!
More posts? Bring it on!
- Healthier, Happier, Smarter: We Choose How We Live Our Lives
- Meg’s Vlog: 3 Steps for Surviving the Winter
- What’s Nutrition Got to Do with It? Take the 21 Day Challenge!
- Meg’s Vlog: Making a Positive Impact - October 12, 2017
- 4 Small Steps to Help Educators Achieve Better Work-Life Balance - October 4, 2017
- Sign Up for “Creating Infinite Health” – A Free Online Symposium Featuring Meg Soper and Other Health Experts - September 20, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Leading by Example - September 14, 2017
- Personalities in the Workplace: The Toughest Nut to Crack - August 22, 2017
- Life as a Professional Motivational Speaker: Lessons Learned – Everyone Has a Story - August 3, 2017
- Life as a Professional Motivational Speaker – Lessons Learned - July 13, 2017
- Here’s to an AmEHzing Canada 150! - June 29, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Humour in Adversity - June 20, 2017
- In the Comfort Zone? Try Stepping Out! - May 2, 2017