Tips over the Edge – Skiing, Family, and Tackling Hurdles in 2017
Ski holidays have been a mainstay for our family for nearly 20 years. This January, we found ourselves in the mountains of BC.
On this particular day, the kids suggested we hike to the peak of Big White Mountain. And so it was that I found myself standing with my daughter at cliff’s edge, staring down a narrow intimidating chute reflecting on how time had turned the tables.
Used to be, we‘d put our kids into ski lessons so we could ski with wild abandon and not be held back. Now, we put our lives at risk just trying to keep up to them as they tackle the gnarliest slopes, and launch themselves from rocky ledges while we nervously tighten our back brace!
“Come on Mom you can handle this!” my daughter Mads tells me before expertly carving her way down a very scary stretch of the mountain.
My heart rate is 175. And I haven’t budged. I repeat my daughter’s words again and again.
Then, I push off, and submit to the forces of gravity. I am all in – there is no turning back! I link a few turns and I realize there is no place else in the world I would rather be than being pushed to the limits alongside my fearless millennial. I can’t imagine a better way to start the New Year!
What’s Your Inspiration for 2017?
Who or what will inspire you this year? What small nudge might get you to test your own limits and get past those things that have been holding you back?
You see, I truly believe that we each have the power to commit to whatever it is that we truly believe in. But first we need to have faith in ourselves, and be prepared when challenges arise.
How can you prepare to seize opportunity and deal with the challenges that 2017 throws your way?
Start by taking time for yourself – setting aside your 30 minutes every day so you’ll be ready to tackle the hurdles that will surely cross your path.
Remember Harvey Mackay’s words that “life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. If you see a chance… take it. If it changes your life… let it. Nobody said it would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it.”
Surround yourself with people who encourage you to keep challenging yourself.
Chest out…chin up… smile and say “Bring on 2017!”
More posts? Bring it on!
- Meg’s Vlog: Being Inspired and Setting Goals for 2017
- The Ripple Effect of Negative Energy
- The Corporate Thriver: Four Steps to Achieving Better Work-Life Balance
- Life as a Professional Motivational Speaker – Lessons Learned - July 13, 2017
- Here’s to an AmEHzing Canada 150! - June 29, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Humour in Adversity - June 20, 2017
- In the Comfort Zone? Try Stepping Out! - May 2, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: The Bathroom Incident - April 18, 2017
- Taming Your Inner Reptile: Meg’s Tips for Controlling Brain Chatter - March 31, 2017
- Meg in Action: Strathroy Middlesex Hospital Nurses Week Celebration [Video] - March 15, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Simple Steps for Managing Your Health - February 28, 2017
- Your Mental Mindset – Wisdom from Professional Golfer Victoria Lovelady - February 21, 2017
- Healthier, Happier, Smarter: We Choose How We Live Our Lives - February 7, 2017