The 30 Minute Rule: Make it Yours!
How well do you take care of yourself? Really well? Kinda well? Not so well, but ready to take it up a notch?
The better we are at managing our stress level and sustaining ourselves, the more productive and understanding we will be in our everyday lives. Taking care of others starts with taking care of ourselves.
I know that for me, taking time out each and every day gives me something to look forward to, especially when it is one of those days when my back and neck start to tighten, and my breathing becomes shallow.
I have a prescription for you – a new habit that I think everyone should incorporate into their regular routine.
Take 30 Minutes a Day
That’s it! Just take 30 minutes a day for yourself. Fence it off, commit to it, and make it yours!
Start your 30 minutes this way: Take a deep breath. Stop the loop. Blow it out.
The stress of real life and routine can wear us down; check in with yourself to make sure YOU are on your priority list. Are you leaving enough time for your bounce-back factor?
So I want you to treat your 30 minutes each day like an appointment. It’s an appointment with yourself, but it is every bit as valuable as any other appointment in your day.
Your 30 Minutes
Your 30 minutes may not look like my 30 minutes. You need to do the things that help you de-stress, refocus, and revitalize.
Here are some things you may want to do during your 30 recharge minutes per day:
- Go for a walk outside! A recent study out of Stanford University found that the simple act of walking increased creativity for 81% of participants. You’ll be amazed at how much it can lift you up.
- Practice yoga, or stand on one foot and test your balance.
- Close your eyes, focus on your breath, and meditate.
- Read a book.
- Write in your journal.
- Play hide and seek with your dog.
- Cuddle someone.
- Gratitude Yoga – focus on the things you are grateful for in your day.
- Be mindful of your small successes.
- The possibilities go on!
I challenge you to make a 30 minute appointment with yourself each and every day to practice self-care. Do it, and chances are you will notice a difference!
More posts? Bring it on!
- How to See the Humor in Stressful Situations
- The Importance of Work-Life Balance in the Healthcare Industry
- Motivational Speaking Events: Do They Improve Employee Engagement?
- Life as a Professional Motivational Speaker – Lessons Learned - July 13, 2017
- Here’s to an AmEHzing Canada 150! - June 29, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Humour in Adversity - June 20, 2017
- In the Comfort Zone? Try Stepping Out! - May 2, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: The Bathroom Incident - April 18, 2017
- Taming Your Inner Reptile: Meg’s Tips for Controlling Brain Chatter - March 31, 2017
- Meg in Action: Strathroy Middlesex Hospital Nurses Week Celebration [Video] - March 15, 2017
- Meg’s Vlog: Simple Steps for Managing Your Health - February 28, 2017
- Your Mental Mindset – Wisdom from Professional Golfer Victoria Lovelady - February 21, 2017
- Healthier, Happier, Smarter: We Choose How We Live Our Lives - February 7, 2017